Friday, May 16, 2008

Who is Donald Roller Wilson?

I was looking at my first post about Donald Roller Wilson and it hit me that I didn't even really explain who he is, where he came from, or anything like that. Forgive me for jumping the gun! It would have been much better for me to give at least a brief bio of Roller at first before jumping straight into my "critiques". So, for the record...

Donald Roller Wilson was born November 23, 1938 in Houston, Texas, and the world hasn't been the same since. He holds MFA and BA degrees from Kansas State University, and served as an associate professor at Nebraska State University from 1966-67. Roller was also an art professor at the University of Arkansas from 1967 to 1974. He resides with his wife Kathleen, who is an artist herself, in Fayetteville, Arkansas, far from the hustle & bustle of ANY type of "art scene", yet he has still managed to attract all kinds of attention from the art world. He has also garnered several high-profile celebrity collectors such as Robin Williams (who contributed an introduction to Roller's book, "A Strong Night Wind"), Carrie Fisher (who wrote the foreword to "A Strong Night Wind"), Jack Nicholson, and many others. As diverse as his clientele is, it's amazing how the average student of art knows very little about Roller. Many art books that profile current American artists give him no mention; this is frustrating to those of us who have been trying to find out more information about this phenomenal painter. I know from personal experience...I have scoured the internet and all kinds of publication records looking for a "trail" of some sort that can give a full picture of Roller's body of work. Believe me, I'm still on the hunt...this blog is a part of that hunt, as I will post here whatever information I can find out about Roller, whether it be past exhibitions he has done, or even the style and techniques he uses (which, in my mind, are mind-boggling). Take a look at this painting, entitled "Kathleen, Encouraged and Convinced Through Faith":


So stay tuned, whoever out there is reading this blog...I hope that this blog will one day be a repository of Roller-ish info. I just believe that he deserves far more recognition than he has been getting, even though it has been quite a lot. Sorry if I am a little biased...I just think that Donald Roller Wilson is one of the most imaginative and original artists of our time.

No comments: