Friday, May 2, 2008

Donald Roller Wilson -- The 1st Post!

Donald Roller Wilson: An Artist Beyond Compare

Welcome to the first post of my blog about Donald Roller Wilson! If you've never heard of Roller, or are not familiar with any of his artwork, then you've definitely come to the right place. It amazes me how many people still haven't been made aware of Roller's awesome paintings, when in my mind he is one of the most innovative American artists of all time.

Nobody does it quite like Roller. He's hard to categorize, because his work is so unique that it truly deserves its own category. If I had to take a guess, I would probably place him in the surrealist category, as well as borderline photorealism. His technique is absolutely flawless, and his ability to render the hyper-real imagery of his own crazy world is something that I personally have never seen in any other artist's work to the degree that I see it in Roller's paintings.

One of my favorite paintings is entitled "The Man Has Left the Moon Tonight". Take a look:























I would like to have that photo in the center of the page, but I haven't figured out how to tweak Blogger yet to do it (LOL). At any rate, this painting is one of the first ones I saw of Roller's; I actually came across it at my local library on the cover of a book called "The Dreams of Donald Roller Wilson", which as it turns out, is a very rare out-of-print book now. From that point on (and that was high school--I'm 33 now), I've been hooked.

I'd love to write more about this painting, and I actually think I will in an upcoming post, but for right now I have to run--gotta take my 2-year-old to the park. In the meantime, stay tuned for more posts about Donald Roller Wilson.

2 comments:

Bbethany7 said...

I first saw Wilson's paintings
at the Holly Solomon Gallery
in SoHo NYC in about 1987.
Fell in love right away, but alas
didn't have enough dough to
buy then. Now I wish I had begged, borrowed, or stolen
to get a few. BB

The Author said...

Hear, hear! I'm still working on a savings plan to buy me an original Roller. Heck, I'll even go for a limited edition print right now...but to actually own a Roller painting would be the Holy Grail.